Family believes teen died from complications of eating extremely spicy chip

A teenager died Friday after he ate a spicy tortilla chip in what his family said was a TikTok challenge gone wrong, according to The Guardian.

>> Read more trending news

While Harris Wolobah’s cause of death was not given, his family said they believe the boy died from a reaction to eating an extremely spicy tortilla chip made by the Pacqui company.

The company promotes a “one chip challenge” and invites consumers to publish videos of themselves eating the very spicy chip that is derived from two of the world’s hottest peppers. The videos are often posted on TikTok.

On the company’s home page, Paqui posts a warning saying you should “Seek medical assistance should you experience difficulty breathing, fainting or extended nausea.”

According to a GoFundMe campaign meant to help his family, Wolobah’s relatives said they fear that Harris, 14, died because of the challenge.

“On September 1, my aunt Lois’ youngest son, Harris, passed away unexpectedly at the age of 14 from what we suspect to be complications due to the ‘one chip challenge’ (autopsy pending),” the GoFundMe post read.

“The pain our family is experiencing is unimaginable. Harris was a light that lit up the room with his presence and subtle charm. He was an intelligent, quirky and incredibly talented young man who loved video games and playing basketball!”

Harris’s mother, Lois Wolobah, told WBTS-TV that her son was given a Pacqui chip by a fellow student at Doherty Memorial High School in Worcester, Massachusetts.

He had an intense stomachache, his mother said, and he went to the school nurse, who called her to pick him up.

She said her son felt better when he got home, but then lost consciousness as he prepared to go try out for a basketball team, Wolobah said. He died a short time later.

If the chip made Wolobah sick, it would not be the first time someone fell ill while accepting the tasting challenge.

A student at Dunwoody High School in Georgia became sick last November after eating a chip, Dunwoody police said in a Facebook post.

So did several people in California, KNTV reported.

In its warning, Dunwoody police said that according to medical professionals, “the challenge can cause serious side effects including severe coughing, asthma, serious burning of the eyes and mouth and vomiting” as well as “more serious health problems, esophageal damage, chest pain, heart palpitations and even heart attacks.”

Autopsy results are pending in Harris’s case.

0
Comments on this article
0
On Air107.3 The Eagle - Tampa Bay's Classic Hits Station Logo

2024 St Pete Pride Parade, presented by Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tampa



See a new furry friend up for adoption each week, brought to you by Fence Outlet!


Win tickets to concerts, unique experiences, great prizes and more!


Get weather news that matters, including forecast and radar from 10 News!


Check out the newest blog, written by all of your favorite Eagle personalities!


mobile apps

Everything you love about 1073theeagle.com and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.

amazon alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!