Regardless of the season, sweet potatoes are always a versatile, healthy option for a colorful, filling meal. Not only are they beautiful, but they’re also loaded with fiber and nutrients, including beta-Carotene, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants. They can be grilled, baked sautéed, and prepared in a huge variety of dishes — as you’ll learn from perusing this list of 45 healthier recipes (featuring the sweet potato!) sourced from around the web . Read on and get cooking!
3. Baked Sweet Potato Latkes These are a delightfully simple, healthier version of the classic latke: Sweet potatoes mix with onions, protein-rich eggs, a few spices, and the flour of your choice (choose whole-wheat for an extra health boost) are baked — not fried — into pancake-y perfection.
For more breakfast recipes with sweet potatoes, go to Greatist.com.
Snacks, sides and small bites
8. Sweet Potatoes with Pecans and Goat Cheese "Wow" your dinner guests with these adorable little bites, each of which is packed with flavor (thanks to some pepper, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard) as well as protein from goat cheese, healthy fats from pecans and olive oil, and vitamins from sweet potatoes, celery, and shallots.
9. Spiced Sweet Potato Hummus Hummus just got even more exciting. The standard chickpea-tahini-olive oil recipe takes a turn on the wild side with the addition of garlic, sweet potato, Sriracha, nutmeg, and cinnamon. For an extra-sweet-potato-ey snack, pair this dip with the sweet potato crackers below.
10. Sweet Potato Crackers These cheery little crackers share the color of Goldfish — only their hue comes naturally, thanks to the sweet potatoes. Add in the baking flour of your choice and just a wee bit of butter, salt, sugar, and baking powder, and you’re good to go.
16. Sweet Potato Chili Loaded with onions, zucchini, tomatoes, and protein-rich black beans, this vegan recipe is hearty and packed full of nutrients. Bonus: The recipe only uses one pot for easy clean-up!
17. Sweet Potato Bisque This vegetarian bisque provides a dose of protein thanks to the addition of peanut butter. A slew of veggies and superfoods, including garlic and freshginger all pack a nutritional punch.
18. Caramelized Onion and Sweet Potato Soup This recipe gives away nearly all its ingredients in the title. Good-for-you onions and sweet potatoes combine with some chicken broth, a bit of butter and sugar, and several fragrant spices (including nutmeg and thyme) for seasoning. It’s simple, tasty, and perfect for hot or cold weather.
For more soup and salad recipes with sweet potatoes, go to Greatist.com.
24. Curry-Spiced Sweet Potato Samosas with a Persimmon-Tomato Marmalade This name alone makes us drool. A sweet and garlicky sauce gets paired with a surprisingly good-for-you dough (it’s full of healthy spices such as superfoods ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon) and a delicious, wholesome filling of onions, sweet potatoes, curry paste, carrots, garlic, coconut milk, and lime juice.
25. Balsamic Glazed Sweet Potato Pasta Man, this is a beautiful dish. Sweet potatoes, pasta of your choice (go with whole-wheat for a healthier twist), a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and a few heaping cups of superfood spinach make for a healthy, filling, meal that’s fit for lunch or dinner and hot or cold weather. Nom!
26. Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burger Black beans bring the fiber and protein, ginger and garlic bring the flavor (and nutrients!), and almond butter adds some healthy fats and a creamy texture to these easy-to-make vegetarian burgers.
For more main course recipes with sweet potatoes, go to Greatist.com.
40. Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding Um, YES. Pureed sweet potatoes provide the base for this remarkably healthy pudding recipe, which gains more sweetness and flavor from just a bit of maple syrup, almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, espresso powder, and vanilla extract. We’ll take three cases to go, please.